Sisters in Cinema Program Assistant
About the Role
The Program Assistant will provide administrative support to Sisters in Cinema programming at-large. This role utilizes a set of project management, technology, and event planning skills to ensure that Sisters in Cinema provides thoughtful and engaging programming within the organization and at our new physical community location, the Media Arts Center. The Program Manager would serve as the direct supervisor for this role. This role is part-time (20 hours per week) with benefits. It sometimes requires work on evenings, weekends, and other non-standard work hours.
The Objectives You Will Meet
As the Program Assistant, you will be responsible for administrative tasks related to hosting program events, supporting outreach, and logistics management. The ideal candidate for this role would also have intermediate experience in graphic design, using digital tools like the Google Suite and/or other graphic design tools. The role will specifically meet the following objectives:
- Support Program Manager with program outreach, development, planning, and implementation
- Provide administrative & logistical support for Program Manager & Sisters in Cinema Programs
- Create graphic design assets for programs as needed
- Assist in the tech needs for all online programming via Zoom
- Support in the innovation of Sisters in Cinema programming & processes
- Assist Media Arts Center Director and CEO as needed
How You Will Meet These Objectives
- Assist in the set-up, main activity, and break down of all Sisters in Cinema events
- Reserve, schedule, and coordinate event details such as locations, food, and entertainment
- Ensure that each event meets its outlined goals, timelines and deliverables
- Create and schedule out emails for various program needs (these include, but are not limited to: “Welcome” emails, “Thank You” emails, and follow up emails)
- Assist in the technology required for a variety of Zoom events (this includes, but is not limited to: managing the chat, creating breakout rooms, sharing your screen, and creating group polls)
- Build out planning timelines to ensure that SIC Programs stay on track and prepared for each Program event
- Assist Program Manager with scheduling, maintaining the SIC Programs calendar maintenance, and maintaining all relevant records
- Create evaluation forms using Google forms
- Manage and update all outreach contact lists
Your First 90 Days
- Familiarize yourself with all current Sisters in Cinema program timelines
- Assist the Program Manager with all activities related to and resulting from all Sisters in Cinema programs
- Assist in outreach for all Sisters in Cinema programs
Who You Are
At Sisters in Cinema, we welcome and embrace a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and approaches to work. We also understand the importance of being transparent in our expectations. If you meet the expectations below, we welcome you to apply.
A well-matched candidate will bring the following:
- Knowledge of event planning requirements for in-person and online programs
- Strong project management experience
- Experience successfully balancing multiple projects at once
- Strong writing skills for email and other written public communications
- Strong skills in using Google Suite functions (specifically Google Forms, Google Calendar, Google Drive, & Google Sheets)
- Experience hosting calls on Zoom (including management of chat feature, creating breakout rooms, and other technical Zoom capabilities)
- Forward thinking that proactively addresses needs as they come up
- Solutions oriented
- Intermediate experience with graphic design (experience with Canva preferred, but not required)
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Remain in a stationary position/location, often sitting for prolonged periods in an indoor office environment
- Must be able to navigate throughout various offices of the building
- Communicate with others to exchange information and perform duties
- Ability to read materials on a computer screen
- Repeat motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Moderate noise level consistent with an office environment
- Ideally has a driver’s license and access to a car
- Must be available to work occasional weekends and evenings each month
How We Invest in You
This is a part-time position (20 hours a week). We offer compensation of $1,750/month in addition to benefits.
Sisters in Cinema provides 100% premium coverage of health, dental, vision, and life insurance. All employees are eligible to participate in the Organization’s medical benefit plan, pursuant to the medical benefit plan’s eligibility terms, effective on the first day of employment. The premiums are fully paid for by Sisters in Cinema, except in instances where employee contributions are mandated by the insurance carrier.
Employees are eligible for a 401(k) retirement plan.
Paid Time Off
Sisters in Cinema recognizes the importance of time off from work. The office is closed for 10 holidays. Annually, full-time employees receive 10 vacation days (15 at the two-year mark) and 6 safe and sick leave days. Sisters in Cinema offices are also closed from December 24 – December 31, so our team can prioritize rest and well-being at the end of the year.
This position is based in Chicago, IL. All staff are currently working with a hybrid office/remote schedule until the Media Arts Center opens in March. The current office is located at 7140 S Yates Blvd., Chicago, IL 60649. The Media Arts Center is located at 2310 E 75th St, Chicago, IL 60649.
Sisters in Cinema is an at-will and equal opportunity employer. As such, we strongly encourage and seek applications from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women and gender nonconforming individuals, people of color, bilingual and multicultural individuals, people with working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, as well as members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the process. Please let us know how Sisters in Cinema might be able to meet your accessibility needs in writing at the time of application.
More About Sisters in Cinema
Sisters in Cinema was founded in 1997 as an online resource for and about African American women media makers. Today, we are a Chicago based 501(c)3 non-profit with an inclusive mission to center and celebrate Black girls, women, and gender nonconforming media makers, providing programs designed to educate, raise visibility, and support and serve our communities. We envision a world where all Black girls, women, and gender nonconforming media makers and storytellers have equal opportunities to create and thrive. To learn more, visit: www.sistersincinema.com.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, complete this application in its entirety. In it, we will ask you to upload your cover letter, résumé, and include a list of three work-related references who can speak to your qualifications for this position.
In your cover letter, we invite you to respond to the following prompts:
- Why is being Sisters in Cinema’s Program Assistant the next best step for you professionally?
- What motivates you to want to join Sisters in Cinema?
- Tell us why our vision statement is important to you. (We envision a world where all Black girls, women and gender nonconforming media makers and storytellers have equal opportunities to create and thrive.)
Applications are rolling until the position is filled. We will begin reviewing applications on February 19, 2024.
Start date: Spring 2024.
Have questions? Send an email to email@example.com. We check our inbox daily Monday-Friday.
Hiring companies: We will not respond to emails about this position.